For nearly 50 years Mary Kay has provided limitless opportunities to Independent Beauty Consultants around the world. Trust is one of the cornerstones on which the Company was built. It is in this spirit of trust and our Golden Rule philosophy that we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect about you.
This Privacy Statement was created specifically with you in mind. It describes the information we collect from Independent Beauty Consultants, how that information is used and protected, and the choices you can make about how we use and share your information.
Our privacy practices are consistent with:
- The European Union Data Protection Directive through the U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor Program.
- Fair information practices established by the Organization for Economic CO-operation and Development (OECD)
- The Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation forum (APEC) Privacy Framework.
- Applicable national and state data protection laws.
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. We cooperate with country data protection authorities if they believe that a privacy problem has occurred.
Information We Collect
In order to provide you up-to-date product and business information for the efficient functioning of your Mary Kay business Mary Kay collects the following information from or about you:
- Postal address
- Email address
- Username and password
- Phone number and/or mobile number
- Date of birth
- Demographic information
- Family information, including marital status
- Government identification number
- Independent Beauty Consultant number
- Name of your recruiter, Independent Sales Director, Independent National Sales Director
- Names of individuals recruited by you
- Product order history
- Payment information (such as a credit card or financial information in connection with your orders from the company)
- Commission history
- Customer Service call information
- Other information you may choose to share with us in connection to your Mary Kay business or which is shared about you by other Independent Beauty Consultant’s or consumers
How We Use This Information
As a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant you are in business for yourself but not by yourself. Generally we use the information we collect from and about you to provide the products and services you and your customers request and to promote the efficient facilitation of the Mary Kay business opportunity.
More specifically your information is used to:
- Send orders, samples, premiums, products and information
- Tell you about products, services, promotions and benefits offered by or through Mary Kay
- Develop new products and services
- Enroll you in contests, programs, promotions or offers you request
- Provide you with information about other services that we have arranged through third parties for your convenience
- Create and manage your account(s)
- Process payment for wholesale purchases or other services
- Provide services to help you better serve your customers
- Protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions
- Provide information regarding products and promotions from strategic partners and complementary businesses
- Develop and provide product information, advertising and business tools tailored to your interests
- Analyze the use of our products, services and sites
- Understand how you are using our websites
- Understand how you are utilizing business tools offered by Mary Kay including personal websites and other e-commerce tools
- Determine the effectiveness of our advertising and promotions
- Enforce our Terms and Conditions and otherwise manage our relationship with you
- Compliance with the Independent Beauty Consultant Agreement, Independent Sales Director Agreement and/or Independent National Sales Director Agreement, as applicable
- Calculate, process and send commission payments, prizes and awards
- Send general correspondence relating to your contracts or relationship with Mary Kay
- Comply with our contractual relationship with you and other Independent Beauty Consultants, Independent Sales Directors and Independent National Sales Directors
- Manage our sites and services so that we can continue to provide you with limitless opportunities as you engage in your Mary Kay business
- Meet any applicable government or regulatory requirements
- Your browser type and operating system
- IP address
- Web pages you view
- Links you click
- Mary Kay emails you open and/or forward
- Mary Kay offers or links you connect to via emails
- Web Sites which lead you to our site or visited upon exiting our site
- Track items selected
We use this information to provide you with a more user-friendly experience and to enhance the service and information we provide to you.
Your Choices And How To Access This Information
As an Independent Beauty Consultant, it is necessary that we use your information in order to facilitate our contractual relationship with you and others, and to provide you with the most up to date information in order for you to be successful in the operation of your independent Mary Kay business. We offer access and choice with regard to your information in compliance with applicable law.
We give you choices about how we communicate with you.
Digital and Electronic Information
We send you promotional mobile or email messages that you have opted in to receive. Generally you agree to receive these communications when you sign up as an Independent Beauty Consultant or when you join the on-line community available to Independent Beauty Consultants, Independent Sales Directors and Independent National Sales Directors.
You can stop receiving particular promotional mobile and email messages from Mary Kay and third parties who may send information on our behalf by following the instructions provided in any such message you receive. It may be necessary to continue to send you certain information electronically in order to facilitate your Independent Beauty Consultant status.
In connection with your status as an Independent Beauty Consultant we may mail you offers, product information and marketing tools that we believe are of interest to you. While certain materials are necessary to be sent to you by mail in conjunction with your status as an Independent Beauty Consultant, you can stop receiving certain promotional postal mail from Mary Kay. Contact Customer Service to update your preferences.
PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to stop receiving promotional messages from us, we will honor your request to the extent we can do so and still facilitate our agreements with you in relation to your Independent Beauty Consultant status. We will continue to send you service related communications. We may need to maintain the information we have collected about you for record keeping, contractual requirements, analysis or other reasons to the extent permitted by law.
We take steps to keep your personal information accurate. You can view, correct or update the personal contact information you provide Mary Kay. Some Mary Kay programs provide access to view or update personal information online including Mary Kay InTouch® and Personal Web Sites.
Sharing of Information
In general, we do not share personal information with marketers outside of Mary Kay. There are circumstances where special offers may be available to Independent Beauty Consultants by third-party companies and in those instances we will only provide your information if we have clearly provided notice and asked for and obtained your consent depending upon your location. We may share your information with potential customers who have contacted the Company for a referral to an Independent Beauty Consultant, if allowed by law and/or if you give us specific permission to pass on this information to potential customers. We share information with other Independent Beauty Consultants in order to facilitate contractual obligations pursuant to the Independent Beauty Consultant Agreement, including to your recruiter, Independent Sales Director(s) and Independent National Sales Director(s), for the purpose of honoring our agreements with you and with them. We only provide personal information needed in order to facilitate support for you and contractual compliance.
Third-Party Service Providers
We rely on third-party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf. In so doing, we may need to share your personal information with them. Please note that we provide our service providers with only the personal information they need to perform their services and we require that they protect this information and will not use it for any other purpose. We may rely on a service provider to:
- Fulfill your product and service requests and answer your questions
- Host our sites and deliver our email and mobile messages
- Mail product samples, contact contest winners, manage payments or take other actions on our behalf
- Analyze data, sometimes combined with other sources, to send more targeted communications to you or, at your request, for your customers
- Conduct research and analyze data to improve our products, services and sites
- Perform other services that we request
We provide these companies with the personal information they need to provide these services on our behalf. We require these companies to protect this personal information and to not use the information for any other purpose.
Sharing of Information within Mary Kay Independent Sales Force
- For purposes of recognition and awards
- To facilitate mentorship and connection within the independent sales force community
We may also disclose your personal information:
- In order to provide first class Golden Rule Service around the globe, we may share personal information with other Mary Kay entities through a protected environment.
- When required by law, and/or public authorities.
- Aggregated and non-personal information
We may share aggregated information that does not identify you for general business analysis. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to Mary Kay sites or services.
We may transfer personal information to Mary Kay databases in countries other than where it was provided. Our Global Privacy Program requires the same high level of security and protection of personal information in all geographies with procedures and contracts in place to help ensure this is so. Data may be temporarily transferred to a vendor or business partner to provide services for Mary Kay, such as mailing information or samples. These vendors and business partners are required to protect and manage the personal information to the same high standards Mary Kay does, and they cannot use the information for purposes other than to provide the services Mary Kay has requested.
Mary Kay protects personal information under company control by industry standard security practices and measures, in order to prevent loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure or alteration of the information. We limit access to personal information to those who have a business need for such information. We do not keep personal information any longer than necessary to meet the business purpose for which it was collected, though in some cases, contractual, legal or regulatory reasons require that personal information not be deleted for certain time periods.
If you have any concerns or questions about the security of your information in connection with May Kay or any of our web sites, or if you have any additional questions relating to Privacy at Mary Kay please contact:
Mary Kay Global Privacy Team
16251 Dallas Parkway
Addison, TX 75001 U.S.A.
We participate in the U.S. Council of Better Business Bureau’s (BBB) Accredited Business Program. Further information about this program and its dispute resolution process is available at www.bbb.org.