Working under broad supervision without appreciable direction, develops solutions to a wide variety of complex problems which require the regular use of deep professional sales/use tax knowledge. Serves as the system administrator of the Vertex sales tax system and is responsible for all aspects of state and local sales/use tax compliance. Additionally, incumbent is responsible for analyzing sales tax law, recommending corporate action based on the law, applying sales tax policy to Company programs and supervising Sales Tax personnel. Prepares all domestic property tax and Freeport returns. Contributes to the development of new concepts, techniques and standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for supervising state and local sales/use tax returns prepared by the sales tax team. This includes reviewing all sales tax returns and payments. Sales/Use tax returns must be filed on a monthly and/or quarterly basis in 45 states and every locale where Independent Beauty Consultants live. Also, reviews and coordinates the preparation of the annual sales tax budget and monitors budget to actual variances in sales/use tax accounts.
2. Prepares domestic property tax returns and Freeport applications. Property tax returns and Freeport applications must be completed annually for property leased or owned in the United States. Oversees the processing of all property tax invoices and prepares the monthly property tax accruals. Prepares the annual property tax budget. Monitors and analyzes monthly the property tax accrual account and budget to actual variances. Performs detailed analysis on all Company property to categorize assets and to obtain tax savings using Microsoft Access Database programming. Interfaces directly with property tax advisor
3. Serves as the system administrator of the Vertex sales tax system utilized by all order entry systems, which includes programming and maintaining taxability rules in Vertex O series software on a timely basis and understanding Tax Code Manager. Recommends policy and procedures related to the Vertex sales tax system. This requires continuously monitoring new products, promotions, programs, vertex data, rate changes and tax law in order to ensure the proper rules are applied to the Vertex O series software
4. Reviews domestic contracts for various tax issues as part of the legal/finance review process. Evaluates whether the contracted goods or services are subject to sales tax and communicates this information. Educates the contract initiator of the proper taxation of the contracted goods and services. Determines the proper and feasible remittance method for these taxes
5. Coordinates IST and the sales tax team in determining the accuracy of system updates by ensuring all systems are tested thoroughly. This includes having knowledge and understanding of all order entry systems and their flow to the sales tax systems and database relationships
6. Monitors and communicates the sales tax ramifications and ensures sales tax is collected or accrued properly in accordance with the law. Reviews Independent Beauty Consultant and end consumer communications to ensure the communication is consistent with tax policy and procedures. This includes working closely with the sales, marketing, creative, IST and legal departments to analyze taxability of promotions and structure the promotion in a favorable way for the Company. This also includes the monitoring of changes within products, promotions, part numbers and new Company initiatives
7. Assist with sales tax audits under the direction of Sales/use Tax Manager. Communicates directly with state sales tax auditors during sales tax audits. Utilizes knowledge of sales tax law to discuss the taxability of specific items with auditors. Coordinates the review of all Company documents requested by auditors prior to being released to ensure that Company is releasing only the documentation that is legally required. In addition, analyzes the requested documentation for potential additional liabilities as well as independent contractor issues.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Finance or a related field. Master’s degree in Accounting or JD preferred. ust be eligible to sit for the CPA exam and be actively engaged in the certification process or be a licensed attorney.
5 - 7 years of sales/use tax analytical experience. Previous supervisory experience required. Property tax compliance experience preferred.
1. Ability to analyze financial information from multiple sources, question the validity of data and perform detailed tax research.
2. Knowledge of or familiarity with Vertex O Series sales tax software is preferred.
3. Strong personal computer skills in addition to extensive knowledge of Excel and Access database to analyze large quantities of data from multiple sources.
4. Knowledge of or familiarity with PeopleSoft and JD Edwards general ledger and accounts payable software, Internet, and electronic data interchange is strongly preferred.
5. Excellent oral and written communication skills to serve as a resource to departmental staff members, review Company correspondence and communication, assign work priorities, detail tax issues and to respond to questions from the Independent Beauty Consultants and individuals within the Company