Accountable for performing and documenting audits and special assignments. Verifies the adequacy of financial and operational procedures and controls to determine compliance with Corporate policies and good business practices. May make recommendations for improvements in the areas of control, efficiency and cost savings subject to review by audit management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Receives individual audit scope and objective statements from audit management. With approval from audit management, executes audit procedures. Documents the results of audits, special assignments, and research activities and reviews them with audit management. After completing audits, drafts report using a personal computer to perform word processing, spreadsheet analysis, and develop graphs for areas examined. Details areas needing improvement and recommends corrective action. Assists other department staff members by gathering data or performing other assignments as directed and works with or in lieu of the Corporation's external auditors as required. May conduct audits with low risk independently but the over sight of audit management. Performs all functions of the job within the established time deadlines and schedule constraints.
2. Interacts frequently with the audit management to receive assignments, discuss specific areas assigned, and discuss adequacy of workpaper documentation. Also interacts with all levels of personnel within the various departments in the Company when performing audits, special assignments, and research and advisory projects. May present audit findings to company officers and directors during close meetings. External contacts include external auditors when participating in interim and year-end audit activities.
3. Reviews and analyzes Company records and procedures. Identifies and defines operational problems and documents internal accounting/financial and operational controls for departments with or without written policies. Determines whether systems of financial and operating controls are functioning properly and are in compliance with established policies and procedures and if changes or definitions of policies and procedures are needed. Utilizes Company policies and procedures, generally accepted accounting principles, good business practices, and generally accepted auditing standards to perform auditing functions. Provides suggestions for improvement and reviews them with audit management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Education: Master’s degree or equivalent in Accounting with 6 hours of computer science course work. Must be a CPA or be actively pursuing the CPA exam.
Experience: 2 - 5 years of audit or accounting experience. Experience in public accounting desirable.
1. Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, generally accepted auditing standards, audit techniques and testing and financial/operations controls.
2. Must have good computer skills and knowledge of various word processing, spreadsheet and graphics software packages such as Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. in order to prepare audit reports and presentations.
3. Must have good communication, time management, and strong interpersonal skills to effectively secure information from various departments to perform audits and present findings to management.
4. Willing to travel 15% - 30% of time depending on department requirements.
5. Proficiency in foreign language(s) preferred.